!Header Logo

Sibley Animal Hospital

!Call Today!

Why You Should Never Feed Your Pet Grapes or Raisins

August 15 2022

Have you ever thought about giving your dog or cat a grape or its dry counterpart, raisins? It is not a good idea. It turns out that grapes and raisins can actually be toxic to our animal friends. These humble fruits can cause poisoning and even death in the most severe cases. 

Read on as a local vet tells you more about grape and raisin poisoning in pets. 

Why Are Grapes and Raisins Poisonous? 

You may be surprised to learn that it is not known exactly why grapes and raisins are toxic to pets. Some people believe that a fungal by-product called mycotoxins is to blame. Others believe that pesticides sprayed on fruit may play a role. And some pets seem to be able to eat the fruit without any ill effects, which makes things even more confusing. But whatever the cause, feeding your pet these fruits is not worth it. 


What Are the Symptoms of Poisoning? 


Symptoms of grape or raisin poisoning usually appear a few hours after your pet ingests them. Clinical signs include coma, increased thirst, vomiting, and diarrhea. Without treatment, kidney failure (the medical term for kidney failure) can occur. That’s why it’s important to keep your vet’s number to call in case of an emergency. Take your pet to the vet as soon as possible if you know or suspect he has eaten grapes or raisins. 


What’s the Treatment? 


The goal of treatment is to remove toxins from your pet’s body as quickly as possible. This can be achieved by inducing vomiting or activated charcoal can be used to absorb the remaining poison in the pet’s stomach. Pets that have progressed to kidney failure may require treatment with intravenous fluids or even blood transfusions in the most severe cases. 


How to prevent poisoning with grapes and raisins? 


Obviously, you’ll want to prevent grape or raisin poisoning first, rather than deal with it once it’s happened. And luckily for you, it’s as simple as restricting your pets’ access to these foods at all times. Store them in the refrigerator or in a covered cupboard or container so pets cannot reach them. Also be wary of foods that contain grapes or raisins, such as desserts or salads. 

Want more tips on what foods your pet shouldn’t eat? Call your veterinarian’s office today. We are always happy to help you.